Tuesday, September 30, 2008

#385 SUPER PV COW CAUGHT ON ATD-50W


Caught on an Accurate 50W – Black.


Name: Keith
Vessel: Cabo 47 Martuni
Location: Port Hueneme
Job:El Capitan
Posts: 15
Capt Keith Denette "My Way" 385lb tuna
Here's the real deal everyone.

As most of you know, I'm not known to glorify any catch that I make
nor try to promote myself to make myself any bigger, but I'm here to
give the facts of how these two fish battles were won.

I'm very fortunate and appreciate the opportunity to Capt, rig some of the best boats to fish around the world and Puerto Vallarta has been my destination for the last 3.5 years and the capt's and crews have made this
place like home.

I do not have a Charter operation Puerto Vallarta, There are many great captains there that I can highly recommend using.

Not in any order from experience
Capt Danny Osuna-Marla Sport fishing 011-52-322-139-6312
Capt Danny Gomez-Damar
Capt Juan Moll-Top Gun
Capt Manny-Pacifico
and many more!

Puerto Vallarta has been on fire for the last 3 weeks and if you're after a world class tuna, I would make reservations asap!

My Way is a 45' Viking Express 08'
Angler:Rolf
Tackle 100lb Power Pro Braid
Rod:Ian Miller Stand Up w/ bent Butt
Accurate 50 2-speed
Owner 12/0 Offshore Hook
Time 2 hours 33 min.
Drag pressure 33 to 48 lbs

Our Day started like any other day, on board I had Rolf, Crewman Hector and Chino. We met with Hi-bo and tanked up with 100 fresh cabbi's and was running in the dark at 8 knts. By 8:00 we picked up to cruise at 32 kts and made the run to Roca Corbantania in just minutes. Upon arriving at the Rock
a few boats were trolling skippies and fishing for the smaller tuna.

Bait was easy, 6 in the tubes and 4 went out 2-long and 2-short. We fished
the north edge where we have had success for the last 2 days and the meter was lit up with cows. 2 passes on the edge and within 10 minutes I looked back to check my spread and all of my baits were nervous, big twitches and almost pulling out of the clips. Just before I could say a word, my left short exploded. I didn't get a good look at the fish but I new we had a cow on our hands. The fish ate the bait, Rolf left the clicker on but free spooled the reel.
After a 8 second run, the boat went foward and I advised to put the reel mid way to strike position.

Rolf caught this fish standup with the OTS harness and the XL Smitty.

The fish never made any big runs, just the standard 150 yds at first and the typical 25 yd zips throughout the entire battle.

No one touched the rod, reel or main line and Rolf hammered this fish. At first I was a little concerned about pulling the hook on this fish but I knew if we were ever going to get this fish in any time he would have to push the drag and palm the spool.

About 1.5 hours into the battle Rolf put the drag to 44 lbs and still the fish would take line when ever he wanted. Rolf's a big guy and just kept on hammering this fish, not allowing it to take any line towards the end, I think with the combination of drag pressure and palm pressure he easily had 48 lbs for the last hour.

Just as the fish came to color, he didn't want this fish to take any more line.
With palm on spool, and short pumps he brought this fish up within a couple of minutes. Just when the leader was going through the guides the rod broke!

Right then I yelled to Chino to grab the leader and hold on and not to let go of the line no matter what. This fish worked Chino for a little bit but he made good work on this fish and it came up. Hector stuck the fish and I came down to put the finishing touches on it.

After a few Hi-Fives I told the crew to cover this fish, pack Ice on it and keep it moist then asked Rolf if he was done for the day, and he looked at me as if I were crazy to leave so early on such a great day. He wanted to catch a big pargo.

But I insisted this fish could be easily over 350, then he said we have a scale to weigh on board, no need to go in. I knew I would liked to weigh this fish at the dock, but when your the Capt you have do what your clients wants.

So, during calm waters at Rock I scaled the fish on the Scalemaster 2 and the fish bounced from 387 to 402.

We packed the fish ice, over 100lbs and I hauled ass to make more bait and fish for a Pargo.

As I ran the north edge there's Danny hooked up and finishing off a cow for his clients and we pulled up and gave them a bunch of water and headed to
make bait.

After two drifts we get bit and we get a 82 lb Pargo.

The True name for this species is a Pacific Cubera Snapper, there are cuberas on the east coast that exceed 124lbs but the species is not the same.

After a quick call to Juan Moll on Top Gun and Danny on Marla to donate the rest of our Cabbies we headed in.

Right at the dock I rigged the scale and tackle and zeroed it and the fish weighed 385.

Rolf's not after pursuing world records like myself (I have 2) just personal bests and I think I did my job that day.

Thanks for the positive comments to all my friends out there. I'm just doing what I do best, Fish.

Thanks to Ned Washburn for making all of our leaders, Lawrence at Fishworks, Accurate, Eric at Eric's Tackle.

Capt. Keith Denette
Attached Thumbnails

No comments: