Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Coastal White Seabass on Boss Extreme Reels

> I got a report that I just had to check out. The crew included Chuck Fedak and Richard Ruffini. We left Dana Point at 3pm yesterday and ran a couple of hours to the spot. Once we arrived we set up on a squid nest and began snagging squid in the daylight. True to the intel that I had, as soon as it got dark the fish started to bite. I caught the first fish on a live squid. I knew when I hooked it that it was big. After two trips around the boat I landed a 40# yellowtail. Actually it weighed 39.5# on the scale the next morning after being bled.
> Next I got bit on a flylined squid. Another trip around the boat and Chuck sunk the gaff in a 35# white seabass. Next Chuck got bit on a flylined squid with a small egg sinker. He got smoked and was finally able to turn the fish. Richard sunk the gaff in another 35# seabass. Next Richard caught a 30# class seabass and Chuck and I each caught another. We fished until 0200 and had a steady pick. I broke one off and Richard pulled the hook on another one. All in all we ended up with 5 seabass from 30 - 35# and one 40# yellowtail
> --
> Paul Lepore
>

No comments: