Friday, July 2, 2010

I want to thank Accurate Reels and the crew of the Red Rooster 3 for putting me on my biggest tuna to date. We were fishing outside Clarion Island on the 2010 Accurate sponsored June Heat trip. Using the boat's kite gear, a Accurate 80 with heavy string and a Calstar 760XXH and double sardine rig, I hooked a monster. I was going out within 30 feet of the boat when I got bit. Never saw the fish bite but a huge swirl. Slowly pushed the lever drag up to strike while moving to the rail I could feel this was a big one. The fish made one strong run off the stern and I got on my knees and bent the rod high, leaning on the rail. I was able to turn the fish and got half of my line back. Then the fish took a second strong run. This fish was not going to be easy. I have caught several cows on the Red Rooster with this same outfit, this fish was in a different class. The fish went up to the bow and started to lay out and settle in. As the fish went around the bow, Nick the Deckhand assisted getting over the anchor. "This is a big fish" He said "and You got the right equipment". Using the swells and timing the cranks I was barely able to get the head up, but Nick's call for a backup gaff was a relief. You get dumbfounded when you see a 300 pounder circling. Tom and Nick both yelled "lift" and two gaffs went in. Wow!! Open the side gate and the crew slid her (him) in.

The fish taped on the Rooster's deck at 302.

Will it weigh 300 at the docks? I did not get my hopes up but it could go either way. Weigh in at the landing was 302.2 Yea!!

Wish every angler could expierence that feeling... An Accurate sponsored Long Range trip allowed me to get my biggest fish and as a bonus for catching a tuna over 300# gave me my choice of reel up to a 50 Wide.
I recieved my ATD-50T two days ago. It will be put to good use for sure...

Thanks Jack...

No comments: