Monday, July 19, 2010

Joe and BX2-400 put the hurt to 100lb-plus tuna



This year I purchased three BX2 reels: 400, 500, 600N. On an early June 5-day on the Excel, I caught thirty-plus bluefin (ave. 30lb) on the 400. I had an 8-day scheduled for early July, so I called your service department to see if I should have the reel serviced, after catching all those bluefin. George answered the phone and helped me to check out the reel to see if I needed to send it in. We decided that I did not.

Fast forward three weeks to my July 3-11 eight-day on the Red Rooster III. The tuna at Alijos were finicky, so I fished the BX2 400 full of 50lb Spectra and a short (20yd) 40lb fluorocarbon topshot (on an 8ft Seeker CJBF80). Caught several tuna 20lb-50lb the first day.

That evening I changed out my topshot to a 45 lb Seaguar Premier Fluoro I had made. Next morning I hooked a real unit. More than an hour later a 122lb YFT comes over the rail. I'm thinking, Dang, this little reel rocks! And I'm also thinking, hey, I've got my fish, my trip is made so, to change out to a 50lb topshot on the outfit, not really caring whether I get a bite or not. Yeah, I know, the BX2-400 is not a 50lb reel.

A few minutes later I hook up yep, another unit. This time I fish the set-up at 17-18lb drag and get a 107lb YFT to the boat in 20 minutes.

Conclusion: These Boss Extreme 2-Speeds are absolutely the ticket. Yep, Small Reels - Big Fish!

I'll be dropping all three reels by your service department in the next week or two. I imagine that 400 could use a little TLC. Or maybe not!


Thanks for making such a great product.
 Joe Hellerman


AccurateFishing.com



No comments: