Friday, September 10, 2010




Had a fantastic 4 day fishing trip to Cedros Island aboard the 90 foot Shogun out of Fisherman’s Landing in San Diego ca, skippered by Capt. Bruce Smith Aug 29th thru Sept 3rd. Just ordered 2 New Accurate BX-400n’s and was looking forward to testing them out at Cedros Island and give them the test against the brute yellowtail that inhabit the island. Before the trip I had filled my Boss 197C and 2 BX-400N with 275 yards of 50lb power pro and only 6 feet of top shots using black water fluorocarbon leader in 25 30 40lb and had my stand by Accurate B-665NN with 50lb.

During the first day of fishing at the south end of the island I was having a blast catching all the 18 – 30lb Yellowtail in quick fashion as these tinny Accurate reels pack a punch! Never did I worry about being spooled nor did I experience any issues in equipment including a few fights with the husky seals that occasionally play tug of war with your catch. As we moved into the shallows I had selected a rather tired bait that sank straight to the bottom, as I begun to retrieve my bait for a moment thought I was hung up on the bottom until something started to take line. With in what seemed to be an effortless 10 to 12 minute fight emerged from the depths a beautiful 68.2lb broomtail grouper!

I’d like to thank Accurate for making such fine products like these tiny little powerhouse line of reels that give an angler confidence in their equipment and wreak havoc on the pelagic.
I fish hard and only fish Accurate!

John Collis
Thousand Oaks ca

No comments: