Monday, September 27, 2010

One Fine Afternoon.



Sunday I woke late and checked the surf, it was relatively small and wanted to get on the water.
My friend George Clough gave me a call letting me know the Thresher Sharks were biting out of Dana Point. I knew my friend Al The Sportsbarber was Bass fishing and I asked him if he had checked out the bait making off the Red Buoy in front of the Harbor. He said he had a full tank of them so I called my friend Scott Shew to see if he wanted to tangle with his first Thresher. He couldn't leave until around one pm so that's what we did.
Left the harbor around 1:30 pm and met up with Al to get a few pieces of bait. Made a short run up to North Laguna and metered some bait balls. We tried trolling for a while with no luck then we drifted some mackerels in the same area. That was the ticket and it was full speed with several nice fish released on the smaller reels BX2-400 on a Extreme 6640 Accurate rod including one that wen around 200 pounds. I failed to mention that all the action was on my 16' Klamath Swimbait boat which was like a horse and carriage ride. We would slow troll the baits get a bite then turn the boat off and let the fish toll us. The BX2-400 put plenty of heat on the T-sharks and we were able to release them while they were swiping their tails at us. Scott had never caught one and wanted to boat a fish which I thought was ok. He hooked a fish that on the scale later weighed 107 lbs which was a perfect size for steaks. The fish gave Scoot all he could handle and at the end Scott prevailed. Congratulations on your first Thresher Shark Scott. We were in the harbor by 5:45 pm, not a bad half day of fishing.
The whole mantra of Small Reels, Big Fish is something all should experience and Scott could not believe he landed his biggest fish ever on such a small reel.
It sure made his time on the rod more enjoyable and he is a real believer in the power of our small reels. If you get a chance, get out there and catch one. Its alright to take a smaller fish for the table but remember the bigger fish are the breeders so let them go for the future of the fishery. Good fishing and tight lines.

www.AccurateFishing.com

No comments: