Wednesday, September 10, 2008

319# Cow on the RRIII December 2007 Trip

We had a slow day on the cow pasture and only a hand full of small fish. We had just boated 1 nice yellowfin about 195 pounds. I thought it high time to catch a fish on my new Accurate Topless ATD-30, it was loaded with 600 yards of 100# spectra and 50 yards of 150# hollow with a Basil top shot with 100# Momoi and 2ft of 100# Black water fluoro carbon tied to a 5/0 Super Moto and a 2 oz sinker with a rubber band. I hooked on a Sardine and dropped it down and at 40 ft it got slammed.  The fish took about 400 yards first run. Andy helped me the whole time, up to the bow we went then back to the stern, I pretested about 30 pounds of drag (using a 

scale a full). The fish went down and we worked about 75 ft of line for 45 minutes. We decided to bump up the drag. It was a big fish and it was just loafing along so up to 40 pounds we went (later I could not pull line off the reel with my hand), then we put a hurting to the cow. The drags were flawless, without this caliber of reel I would not have gotten a tuna this size on 100#, no way. Hooked up at 3:45 and stuck 5 gaffes in her at 5:15. She taped 310 pounds on board and later weighed 319 at the dock. This was a fish of a lifetime for me and on light gear. 

  

A couple of days later we were in a nice bite on smaller fish so I told a friend that I was going to catch a tuna on a Mega Bait and my 80# rig an Accurate 12 500 yd of 80# hollow and 100# topshot Same jig I caught a 20# albie on last summer). Over the stern it went, and again about 40’ down it just stopped. And I was on and around the boat a couple of times, and around 5 or 6 circling tuna at the bow. Next thing I knew we looked down and their was a cow. On deck it taped 205 and weighed 219 at

the dock. Again the reel made the difference with their great drags and flawless performance it would not have happed.  Thanks Accurate the reels made the trip. 


Archie Irion 


No comments: